Sharing exciting news about the STAR TREK campaign I am working on with Picture Production Company: Experience The Enterprise.
From the official press release:
To promote the international release of STAR TREK on May 8th, Paramount Pictures International (PPI) is today launching ‘Experience The Enterprise’; a groundbreaking augmented reality (AR) application placing a 3D interactive version of the Starship Enterprise in the palm of your hand.
Visitors to http://www.experience-the-enterprise.com will be given the opportunity to take an extensive five minute tour of the Enterprise, including testing the ship’s weapons systems, impulse engines and warp drive.
‘Experience The Enterprise’ is built using augmented reality (AR) technology, which combines real world and computer-generated data to bring a 3D interactive version of the Starship Enterprise to life, on your desktop or in your hand.
Anybody with a webcam can take a tour of the Enterprise using the kind of futuristic technology that sits at the heart of perhaps the most popular science-fiction franchise of all time.
This is the first time AR has been used to bring a major film release to life in this way. The application itself was constructed using the original 3D model of the Enterprise appearing in the film, as well as featuring an array of special effects direct from the production. It was developed for PPI by creative marketing agency Picture Production Company (PPC), working in conjunction with augmented reality specialists Total Immersion.
From Dan Light, Head of PPC Interactive:
We’ve been looking at augmented reality for a while, thinking we could do something cool with it.
So we made this:
You can take the ride at http://www.experience-the-enterprise.com. If The New Frontiersman was the most creatively ambitious project we’ve yet attempted, this was the most technically outrageous. 2009 is turning into quite a year.
Major kudos to Annie Ok for calling the augmented reality thing a good few months back. She’s turning out to be the kind of muse/guru no creative marketing agency should be without.
Likewise to the guys at PPC who put this together. Our first instincts on how to use this technology seem to have been the right ones, and we’re pretty excited about trying some new stuff with our next AR gig, which happens to be just around the corner.
Sincere appreciation to Dan for his kind words and the crew at PPC for producing yet another kickass project.
CLIENT: Paramount Pictures International
- Gizmodo: “Augmented Reality App Puts a 3D Starship Enterprise In The Palm Of Your Hand”
- /Film: “Must See: Augment Reality With New Star Trek Website”
- TrekMovie.com: “New Star Trek Site: Experience The Enterprise”
- Singularity Hub: “Where No Augmented Reality Has Gone Before!”
- Total Immersion: “The Future Begins with Paramount’s Augmented Reality Star Trek Experience”
- ABC News: “Use a webcam to project 3D images”
- GeekTyrant: “Take a Tour of the U.S.S. Enterprise using STAR TREK Augmented Reality”
- Kzero: “Augmented Reality video round-up”
- AugmentedPlanet: “Augmented Reality Star Trek Demos”
- VizWorld: “Star Trek Enterprise in Augmented Reality”
- Geek.com: “Tour the new Star Trek Enterprise with augmented reality”
- Not Just Reality: “Experience The (Augmented) Enterprise”
- JasonTheodor.com: “Engaged. Kids Love Augmented Reality.”